Reporting to the University Librarian, the holder of this position will be responsible for planning, developing, expanding, and maintaining the digital repository and working collaboratively with faculty, ICT, administrators, staff, students, and also with peers in other institutions and organizations in developing a successful institutional repository strategy for USIU-Africa.
- Manage the day to day work and development of the repository, setting priorities and targets and developing workflows to manage the capture and description of repository content;
- Plan for and arrange solutions for digital asset preservation to ensure that data and other digital assets remain accessible, understandable and ready for re-use throughout their useful life;
- Coordinate the scanning of all print theses and archives materials and upload to the repository;
- Monitor developments in data standards and best practice and act as a liaison with national and international data organizations;
- Maintain close engagement with related scholarly communications issues including copyright and open access and actively participate in the annual international open access week;
- Ensure legal obligations are met relating to the creation and retention of paper and electronic records;
- Develop an advocacy program, create publicity materials and promote the repository internally and externally;
- Provide tailored research data management and training opportunities to the university community;
- Advise departmental staff on the management of their records and collect institutional publications and articles from them for uploading to the repository;
- Provide information and analysis and prepare quarterly and annual performance reports to inform strategic and operational development; and
- Undertake additional duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Minimum Educational Qualifications and Professional Experience
- A Master’s degree in Information and Library Science (or equivalent) from an accredited university;
- At least three (3) years of relevant experience in a similar position in a busy library or higher learning Institution
- Must have practical experience with relevant tools, protocols and standards such as DSpace, OJS, Fedora, MODS, OAI-PMH, MARC, Dublin Core, and ORCID;
- Proven experience in developing and/or managing an institutional repository system;
Skills & Competencies
- Working knowledge of intellectual property, privacy and licensing issues applicable to digital resources, data collections and archives.
- Confidentiality and integrity;
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Relationship builder & effective negotiator;
- Good communication skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Adaptability and reliability
- Proficiency in working with electronic databases.
- Proficiency in Library Management Software.
Get a free review of your resume send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with REVIEW in caps as the subject line.
We can also assist you with this job application. Request job application assistance when getting your review
Like our Carer Agency Facebook page so you never miss our daily job updates.