- Westlands, Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya, Kenya
- Full Time
- Senior Manager/Supervisor
Nova Pioneer Academies is looking for an outstanding professional with experience and passion for developing world-class properties in Kenya to drive the expansion of its schools. This is an opportunity to help grow a transformative education model that will shape the future of Kenya’s youth.
Imagine a world in which every young person in Africa attends a school that truly sets them up for success in the 21st century. A school that demands excellence, helps students learn by doing and exploring rather than by memorizing, equips students with globally competitive science and technology skills, and builds the character that will enable them to shape a better future for the continent.
Now imagine that this school is not in one town, in one country, but across Kenya and the continent. This is what we imagine, and we want you to help make it happen.
About Nova-Pioneer Academies
In 2014 we launched a new venture to build the first pan-African network of high-quality, affordable primary and secondary schools. This year we will be operating six schools—two in Nairobi and four in Johannesburg—and gearing up for rapid growth, initially across East and Southern Africa and eventually across West Africa as well. Our venture is structured as a social enterprise to enable us to attract the investment that will be needed to launch 100 schools and reach tens of thousands of students in the next decade.
We have a unique, entrepreneurial work environment with a strong team culture that is designed to reinforce our vision. The core elements of our culture include:
- We model the growth mindset we want our students to embody: you are challenged every day and, as a result, you grow more than at any other point in your life
- We pursue excellence in every detail and do whatever it takes to produce great work quickly
- We are radically open: we share tough messages and our own vulnerabilities because doing so helps us grow
- We put our students before our team, and our team before ourselves
- We bring infectious energy, enthusiasm and fun to everything we do because joy fuels the hardest work and learning
About the Role
We are looking for an exceptional individual to lead the development and expansion of our school properties in Kenya over the coming years. We recently acquired 25 acres within Tatu City, one of the largest developments in Kenya and a Vision 2030 flagship project, and will continue to develop the site into a state-of-the-art campus hosting more than 3,000 students. We will also begin acquiring and developing additional land to launch five additional schools across Kenya over the next two years.
As the Property Development Manager, you will lead the development of these new and existing campuses. You will identify optimal new parcels of land for our schools through exhaustive searches, careful analysis and skilled negotiation to secure attractive pricing. You will then coordinate the design of the campuses and facilities with internal staff, architects, and other experts and contractors. Lastly, you will manage a range of contractors to ensure the construction of all facilities is completed on tight timelines to meet international quality standards. You will also work closely with members of our leadership, finance, and growth teams to ensure that all property developments have optimal financial structures and terms to ensure costs are minimized.
You will report to Director of Operations and work closely with the Managing Director, Growth Manager and other key staff. However, you are expected to be capable of operating independently, delivering high quality results on tight timelines with limited direction from other members of the team.
- You have 5+ years of experience in a rigorous, high-performing professional setting working with real estate and/or construction;
- You have exceptional people skills and are able to build strong relationships with colleagues and a wide range of external partners, negotiate effective deals, and skillfully resolve conflicts;
- You have a strong track record of achieving high quality results quickly and can operate independently with limited direction and support;
- You have an exceptional ability to think strategically and yet you sweat the small stuff—people see you as unusually detail-oriented and conscientious
- You deeply understand real estate and construction markets in Kenya. You have an eye for real estate design and can maximize the quality of facilities while minimizing costs;
- Strong project management skills with exceptional ability to manage multiple highly detailed and urgent work streams simultaneously;
- You are humble and have the highest integrity. You embrace our unique organizational culture and are ready to grow by acting on frequent intensive feedback from your colleagues;
Does working at Nova Pioneer excite you? If so, we are excited to meet you and hope to speak with you soon to explore whether you are a great fit to join us in building our ambitious vision.
Please note: Where a copy of your resume is required, copying and pasting from a formatted document e.g. Microsoft Word® may not result in the formatting transferring correctly to the final resume. You are encouraged to attach your resume in Microsoft Word® or PDF format to protect formatting.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the right candidate is identified. Only qualified candidates will be invited for interviews.
Get a free review of your resume send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with REVIEW in caps as the subject line.
We can also assist you with this job application. Request job application assistance when getting your review.
Like our Carer Agency Facebook page so you never miss our daily job updates.