Location: Kenya, Nairobi
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Administrative and Finance Assistant will play a supporting role in office finance and administrative functions, including logistics.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage day-to-day office operations, including supplies, travel logistics, and scheduling.
- Assist the Director and Senior Finance Officer with the office support systems including negotiations with vendors and service providers in the most cost effective manner.
- Assist technical staff with the logistics associated with program activities, both within and outside of Kenya.
- Review program payment requests, and sub-grant reports to ensure compliance with funder regulations and Freedom House policies and procedures.
- Assist with financial reporting as needed, including organizing office finances in coordination with the Senior Finance Officer.
- Support other staff members as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Degree in accounting, finance, or business administration with emphasis in accounting strongly desired.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a fast-paced office setting desired.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel. Comfort learning other software as needed.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work with confidential information.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous assignments, set priorities, and work independently.
- Ability to utilize necessary office equipment and computers.
ATTRIBUTES AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Exhibit strong and sustained commitment to the mission of Freedom House
- Show good stewardship in the use of Freedom House resources
- Respond promptly to stakeholder needs, and solicit stakeholder feedback to improve service quality
- Exhibit excellent phone etiquette, pleasant demeanor, and ethical conduct
- Consistently use good judgment when dealing with all contacts and constituents
- Exhibit high work standards, adherence to procedures, and responsibility for assigned tasks
- Demonstrate strong desire for excellence, and desire to inspire others to attain professional excellence
- Assess own strengths and weaknesses; pursue training and development opportunities; strive to continuously build knowledge and skills
- Work as an effective team member, successfully balance individual and team responsibilities
- Comply with all policies and procedures
General Working Conditions:
- General working office environment
- Some overtime hours including evenings and weekends to complete tasks or attend events
- Travel to event sites and field offices less than 20% of the time
- Exposed to outside weather conditions when required to attend event venues or travel
- Sedentary, regularly required to sit for extended periods of time; constantly talk, hear and understand speech at normal levels using a telephone. Occasionally required to stand, walk, and bend over, reach overhead, use hands, wrists and fingers, to grasp, push, pull, move, handle, feel, and type. Constantly required to use close vision and distance vision for regular computer work. Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. to waist height.
Qualified and Interested Applicants:
Qualified candidates must complete an online application and submit a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary.
This vacancy is open to those candidates with relevant permits to work in Kenya.
No relocation costs will be covered by Freedom House.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Get a free review of your resume send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with REVIEW in caps as the subject line.
We can also assist you with this job application. Request job application assistance when getting your review.
Like our Carer Agency Facebook page so you never miss our daily job updates.