Get a free review of your resume send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with REVIEW in caps as the subject line.
We can also assist you with this job application. Request job application assistance when getting your review.
Like our Carer Agency Facebook page so you never miss our daily job updates.
Updated: April 19, 2017
Come Work at HJF!
HJF is seeking a Program Director is responsible for implementation, evaluation, and support of projects and services assigned to under the CDC Cooperative Agreements and other Collaborations in Kisumu/Kisian, Kenya sites. Reports directly to the Director, HJFMRI Regional Office Nairobi. This position is located in Kisumu/Kisian Kenya. The incumbent duties focus on operational oversight of the program including strategic planning, identifying and implementing required organizational change, reporting, contract management oversight, assuring regulatory compliance in support of clinical research management of human subject studies, training local staff, and collaborative problem solving with representatives of HJFMRI’s regional and corporate offices. Key element is the building and maintaining relationships with CDC leadership in Western Kenya and KEMRI leadership at the Kisian Site.
- Facilitates daily program operations triage support and provides the overarching strategies that are essential to the successful establishment and sustainment of local sites for the Cooperative Agreement and other Collaborations.
- Coordinates with CDC and KEMRI leadership to ensure the program properly and effectively meets the sponsors’ requirements/expectations under the Cooperative Agreement and other Collaborations.
- Responsible for the development and coordination of the HJFMRI’s service capabilities for the research programs and other collaborations that require, local and regional sites to employ host country nationals, and assuring fiduciary responsibility.
- Facilitates information flow between program members, scientific directors, HJFMRI, and HJF’s corporate office.
- Coordinates the decision-making process between all program participants.
- Processes a strong financial background for close collaboration with the Kisian Financial Operations Director to ensure preparation of financial reports of the local program sites meet the requirements of the Sponsors and HJF/HJFMRI corporate offices.
- Directs, coordinates, and conducts host country personnel actions and furnishes guidance and assistance as needed.
- Demonstrates diplomacy when interacting with all internal and external staff.
- Supervises program staff members and authorizes hiring actions.
- Provides advice on manpower utilization, workflow, and operational procedures to increase efficiency, productivity, and make overall improvements for the program.
- Collaborates with the Kisian Financial Operations Director to analyze costs and pricing data submitted by the contract centers to verify and substantiate direct and indirect costs.
- Monitors requests for contract actions and proposals.
- Assures full compliance with all contract requirements, schedules, and provisions.
- Performs other duties, as assigned, and completes other projects as needed.
- Liaise with stakeholders and other local and international entities to leverage resources in support of current program activities and to foster new business opportunities for HJFMRI.
- Monitors the initiation and processing of purchase orders, supply sources, work orders and maintenance and renovation requests.
- Supports HJFMRI business development efforts by providing timely and accurate information to HJF/HJFMRI corporate offices.
- Authorizes payment of invoices, when directed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Must have knowledge of organizational objectives; knowledge of the federal acquisition process; experience in working or living internationally; thorough understanding of clinical research management and the use of human subject volunteers; ability to work completely independently; ability to use sound judgment in solving problems; ability to coordinate many complex systems and programs at the same time; excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to lead in a matrix oriented structure.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelors Degree in international related fields or business.
Minimum Experience: 6 to 10 years related experience in international business management, personnel administration and/or procurement. Extensive experience in international NGO program management.
Physical Capabilities: None
Travel Requirements: 15% of time
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: Supervises support staff as directed
Work Environment: office and laboratory setting
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources.