Increase your chances of getting a job interview, get a free review of your resume send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with REVIEW in caps as the subject line. It works!!
We can also assist you with this job application. Request job application assistance when getting your review.
TO SUCCEED IN YOUR JOB SEARCH READ THE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY
Nutrition Officer- Research
The IRC is leading a multi-agency program of operational research to develop a combined protocol for the treatment of severe and moderate acute malnutrition (Combined Protocol for Acute Malnutrition Study- ComPAS). The ‘Combined Protocol’ will be piloted in two countries: South Sudan and Kenya. The IRC is recruiting Nutrition Research Officers to provide research study implementation and data collection support in Kenya. The research is funded by OFDA and CIFF, implemented by the IRC in Kenya and Action Against Hunger-USA in South Sudan and supported by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
As part of the global ComPAS research team and working under the guidance and supervision of the ComPAS Research Manager and ComPAS Research Coordinator, the Nutrition Officer Research will be directly responsible for high-quality quantitative and qualitative data collection and reporting of research study data at his or her designated clinic site. S/he will also work closely with clinic facility (MoH) staff and provide logistics and technical support on the implementation of the standard or Combined Protocol, patient record-keeping, patient follow-up, and community outreach. The Nutrition Research Officer will be expected to strictly adhere to research protocol, communicate effectively to clinic facility staff and enrolled patients, and maintain data quality and data management procedures at all times.
- Participate in refresher IMAM and original ComPAS research protocol training including CommCare; demonstrate understanding IMAM protocols.
- Work with ComPAS research team, sub-county MoH and local community leaders to acquire community-level consent prior to the start of the research study
- Assist with community sensitization and screening to recruit study participants
- Maintain a professional relationship with clinic (non-ComPAS research) staff; provide on the job training, coaching and mentoring in order to communicate study protocol procedures and CMAM best practice where appropriate
- Daily, work with clinic staff at clinic site to recruit children to the study, enroll children based on study enrollment criteria and procedures; obtain informed consent from caregiver to collect and store personal information
- Daily, implement ComPAS research study data collection procedures; record all enrollments and weekly follow-up data (anthropometrics, household data, personal and medical history, etc.) to electronic tablets using mHealth software
- Daily, when available, assist clinic staff with providing and recording treatment for acute malnutrition
- Daily, upload data to online mHealth platform
- Daily, alongside clinic staff, monitorprogress ofstudy participants; ensure appropriate concurrent medical treatment, follow-up, referral, and discharge
- Communicate key combined or standard protocol messages to caretakers of enrolled children, and ensure it is delivered appropriately in order to promote adherence
- Organize four-month follow-up with caretakers of enrolled children and community health workers
- Perform periodic data audits independently and with supervisor
- Maintain record of ComPAS research study supply; take stock of supplies that need to be replenished and work with the research Supervisor/Coordinator to pre-position
- Plan and conduct mass MUAC screening of the under fives on a quarterly basis in collaboration with the community health workers and clinic outreach planning
- Coordinate meetings with IRC and sub-county MoH officials to update on study progress and share interim results
- Represent IRC in nutrition coordination meetings within the sub-county among implementing partners and other nutrition /health related forums.
- Attend scheduled ComPAS research team meetings and one-on-one meetings with supervisor(s)
- Immediately report any issues or problems to the Research Manager and/or Coordinator
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor(s)
- Bachelor degree in Food, Nutrition and Dietetics from a recognized University.
- Must be a registered nutrition or dietitian KNDI
- Additional research qualification or experience
Required Experience & Competencies:
- Technical understanding of CMAM required; minimum 1 year work experience in providing treatment for acute malnutrition.
- Minimum 1 year work experience in public health research, preferably in nutrition, community health, or child health
- Prior experience with mHealth data collection platforms, preferably CommCare
- Experience in nutrition survey and assessments; strong experience ensuring data quality and management procedures
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Effective when working independently and as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills; demonstrated patience and effective leadership in communicating new topics to diverse audiences; experience providing job coaching or on the job training desirable
- Experience in nutrition and HIV/AIDS programming added advantage
- Ability to work with considerable flexibility (for example: outside business hours in urban areas)
please apply on or before 30th June, 2017.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes. In the event that you receive any request for payment of any sort, please get in touch with us on Tel: +(254-020) 2727730, Email: IRCKenya@rescue.org or report to the nearest police.