Increase your chances of landing this job interview, get a free review of your resume send it to email@example.com with REVIEW in caps as the subject line.
We can also assist you with this job application. Request job application assistance when getting your review.
TO SUCCEED IN YOUR JOB SEARCH READ THE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY
Nairobi | Kenya
Background Information – Job-specific
Under the overall supervision of the DSU Project Manager and under direct supervision of the Mechanical & Electrical Engineer , the Assistant Quantity Surveyor will perform the following tasks:
- Responsible for filing of Design Service Unit documentation
- Assist in taking-off and calculation of quantities from Mechanical & Electrical drawings
- Assist in preparation of Bills of Quantities
- Assist in prepation of valuation for contractors’ payments
- Assist with the valuation of variations
- Assist in maintaining construction cost data
Secondary education is required. A Bachelors Degree or Technical Qualification in Quantity Surveying, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or any other related field will be an asset.
- At least 4 years of progressive experience is required if with secondary education.
- Experience working with UN or other Humanitarian/Development agencies is an asset
- Experience working in a busy Engineering environment will be an asset
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Knowledge and capacity to prepare Bills of Quantities for building works in Microsoft excel to professional and accurate standards is an asset
- Good team player attitude
- Ability to follow instructions precisely and work in a team to support the delivery of successful projects.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Familiarity with WinQs, Qs Cad and other relevant Quantity Surveying softwares is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA 4
Contract duration: 6 Months renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.